1. Why did you start taking better care of your hair? This was in highschool. It was breaking off badly to the point where a friend noticed all the broken hair all over my shoulders. I finally thought enough was enough. So I asked a classmate who had long healthy APL hair what she did. She said nothing (I later heard that she did hot oil treatments regularly, what a hair snob!). Desperate for answers, I googled "black hair growth secret", found a hair forum, and the rest is history.
2. What are your 2 favorite products? CHI Silk Infusion and Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
3. Who's hair did you admire as a child? Aaliyah!!!
4. What is your ultimate goal length? Waist
5. How are you going to celebrate when you reach it? Maybe go on a shopping spree, or treat myself to a manicure/pedicure. Definitely will take a ton of pics! And maybe make a youtube video.
6. Two styles you want to try at your goal length? A braidout! and curls w/ a curling wand
7. Which do you prefer: Health or length? Health for sure
8. Which do you prefer: Hair ties with no metal parts, or butterfly clips? Clips
9. What products do you prefer: salon brands, organic brands, BSS brands or drugstore brands? BSS brands for the win (sally's counts as a BSS...right??)
10. Which product/technique do you think is over-rated? Washing hair in multiple sections
11. Which product/technique do you think is under-rated? Baggying, no one does it anymore lol but it's great for retaining length
12. What is your favorite part of your hair regimen? Moisturizing and sealing. There's something therapeutic about applying products to my hair
13. What is the most annoying part of your hair regimen? Shower hopping! This is one of the reasons why I don't deep condition as much as I should.
14. Oils or butters? Oils!
15. Bun or ponytail? Buns (braidout buns <3)
16. Wig or weave (or neither)? Halfwigs!!
17. What is your opinion on growth aids? I think people focus so much on growth that they don't realize it's only half the battle. Retention is key.
18. What length do you consider long? If it's the same length all the way around then I consider APL to be long. But BSL+ is for sure long
19. When is the last time you've been to a salon? Oh snap...definitely over a year ago, maybe two. I don't hate stylists, but I can do my hair nicely myself, so I don't wanna pay someone else to do it on a regular basis. Not to mention the horror stories I've read. If I could find a good stylist I trust, then I would probably go more often.
20. What do you like to surf the most: youtube channels, personal blogs or hair forums? I like to surf youtube the most. Then there are quite a few personal blogs I
21. And finally, what piece of advice would you give to someone just starting out their hair journey?
Have realistic expectations. Your hair will not grow long overnight. It takes time, patience and possibly a little investment in quality tools and products. Don't get discouraged if your hair doesn't grow as fast as the next person's. Just keep going and stay consistent and you are bound to make progress.