Regimen + Goals

My Hair Regimen: I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily. As needed (usually weekly) I cleanse my hair and scalp with a moisturizing shampoo (or a clarifying one if there's build up). I do a moisturizing OR protein treatment with every shampoo. I stretch my relaxers 3-4 months.

My go-to protective/low manipulation styles: buns, braid-outs and halfwigs. In 2012 I want to start experimenting with more heat-free styles. I air dry most of the time and flat iron for length checks only.

I'm currently midback length (MBL) and actively working towards reaching waist length by my graduation in mid-2012.

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Wash Day (11.5 weeks post)

Yes I count half weeks during my stretch lol! Today was my first wash day since removing my braids. Last night I detangled with Aloe Vera juice (this stuff is an awesome all natural detangler), put a plastic cap on and went to bed. So I guess it counts as a pre-poo too. When I woke up my hair was very damp and....MUSHY. Automatically I knew its moisture overload, which is expected because I've only been using moisturizing products only for the past 2 weeks on my cornrows. Whoever created that "protein once a month max" rule needs to speak for themselves because my hair needs it more often than that. Anyway this morning here's how the wash went:
  1. Lightly detangled and put a middle part...splitting my hair in two makes the whole wash day easier
  2. Clarified with Quantum Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo
  3. Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor ♥ (my hair adores this stuff...need to repurchase b/c bottles running low)
  4. After I rinsed that, I applied Roux Porosity Control and let it sit for 30 seconds
  5. Towel dried (simply squeeze the excess water out with a towel or t-shirt)
  6. Applied leave-in (Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer)
  7. I had somewhere to be so I threw on my Sensationnel 7047 halfwig and put a little Isoplus oil sheen on the leave out
  8. When I got back I moisturized and sealed in sections (Giovanni Direct Leave-in and sealed with EVOO)...then lightly flat twisted 4 twists and put on a satin scarf)
Today I also got my nails done (acrylic with white tips...terrible for my nails but hey I haven't gotten them since summer and I deserved some pampering after a hectic semester at school).  Also got my eyebrows waxed too. So today was a true "hair done nails done everything did" type of day.

Rollerset update: So as you know I'm on the market for a hooded dryer right. Well everyone recommended sallys and OF COURSE the sally's in my area doesn't have  hooded dryers! Not to mention it doesn't carry any of the infamous generic value products. Sighh. I know for sure my local BSS's have hooded dryers so I'll check there next. Just hope I don't have to pay an arm and a leg

10 comments:

  1. Make sure you go for price AND quality! My dryer was moderately priced but not the most functional for anything more than DCing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep that in mind thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, you ladies sure are speaking truth today. Shika's great post now yours. ITA with the protein thing. I recently began increasing my protein (as you know) and my hair has improved drastically. Less breakage, less shedding. The thing is I am not using protein-heavy products just ones that are pretty balanced and still moisturizing (Bee Mine Luscious & Kerapro). Before I'd recoil from anything that even contained protein as an ingredient!

    Oh, and glad you pampered yourself a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a serious pamper, my eyebrows are a mess!!

    I like the sound of using aloe vera juice as a detangler, do you dilute it down? Or just use it straight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm a new follower and less than a year into my HHJ (healthy hair journey) what does porosity control do for your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ebony I would recoil too. Looking back that lead to serious moisture overload *thumbs down*

    @Shereen I use it straight no dilution

    Operation6 As you know I relax my hair (which turns it highly alkaline 8+ on the pH scale). Porosity Control lowers and equalizes the hair's porosity back to the proper healthy range (4.5-5.5). Aside from the scientific stuff, it leaves my hair smooth and shiny so I use it as a final detangling rinse every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely go for a good quality hair dryer! Trust me when I say this. I paid $25 for my Conair dryer and I hate that thing with the heat of a thousand suns. It takes forever to dry my hair and has uneven heat distribution to boot! Definitely do your research!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...